How to Breathe While Singing: A Step by Step Guide
If you still have no idea, then get this.
Being able to breathe properly while singing is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
Because when you can properly breath and use your diaphragm in singing, then the results are much more awesome.
There are a couple of things that you should learn if you want to see some improvements in your singing.
Things like learning the proper techniques and adopting the right posture when singing are necessary.
But the one thing that is sure to make a massive improvement is learning how to breath while singing.
This may not be very easy to master at first, but with continuous practice, you will definitely get the hang of it.
This article is going to take you by the hand and show you how to do so properly and make your singing great.
Why you need to breath properly
There are a couple of reasons why you need to master how to breath when singing.
It controls the quality, pitch, tone and the volume of the sound you produce.
Without it, you simply cannot produce any sound. You may be able to produce a sound but it might sound creaky and harmful to the ears.
Breathing properly makes singing much easier and less stressful.
How to breath properly while singing
Alright let’s get into the main idea of this article.
Before we begin, i want you to know that to be able to breath properly while singing you need to make sure that you are using your diaphragm.
Your diaphragm is simply a thin sheet of muscle that separates your rib cage from your the other organs that are below it.
What it does is that it controls the amount and the flow of air coming into your body. So when you find yourself inhaling and exhaling and you can easily control the flow of ari coming and going, then that’s your diaphragm working.
Here is a 3D video showing you a demonstration of proper breathing and how the diaphragm works.
How to assist and strengthen your diaphragm
According to this article here, you need to strengthen your diaphragm. This is because most people do not know how to breath properly and this results in a weak core.
Here are some tips to help you.
- Lie on the floor with your knees slightly bent and place a pillow under your head.
- Place your hands lightly on your stomach and observe your breathing.
- Make sure you concentrate on breathing with your diaphragm and not your chest. To do this observe as your stomach rises and falls when you breath.
- Next you can place a small weight such as a book on your stomach and observe the rise and fall of your stomach.
- By doing this regularly, you will notice how your breathing works while strengthening your diaphragm.
3 Singing exercises to help you breath properly while singing
If you really want to get serious about your singing and learn the proper way to breath, then the best thing you can do for yourself is to master breathing techniques.
There are a whole lot of them out there, but these are some beginner friendly ones you can begin with.
360 Degree Breath
This is one of the easiest and simplest ways to get started learning how to singing and breath at the same time.
You can read more about it here
Here is how it is done
- Stand with both feet planted firmly on the ground with your hands by your side.
- Slowly breath in and out.
- It is preferred that you do this in front of a mirror. This will ensure that you do not have and develop any bad habits such as slouching your shoulders or your knees are bent.
- The main thing here is to avoid something called shallow breathing. This simply means the rise and fall of your shoulders when breathing in. you want to make sure that you correct these bad habits before they get out of hand.
This is another simple exercise that you can do to make you learn the art of breathing properly.
Here is how it is done
- Take a deep breath and then exhale making a hissing sound (SSSSS)
- Make sure you do so slowly for as long as you are able
- When you feel like breathing, try to hold it and breath just a little before you exhale.
- Try timing yourself when you do this. So for example you were able to hold it for 5 seconds today. Tomorrow you can then shoot for 8 or 10 seconds.
This has to do with taking in short breaths and holding it for a short while before exhaling.
Here is how it is done
- Take a deep breath, hold it and count for a few seconds
- Think of your lungs filling up in fractions as you count.
- Try as much as possible to focus on your diaphragm and do not hold the tension in your throat for too long.
Breathing and singing go hand in hand.
To be a better singer you must know how to control your breath. And the surest way to learn this skill is by practicing breathing exercises.
By following the exercises in this article and practicing them, you will definitely see ahuge improvement in your singing.