Want to be a badass singer right?
As someone who has been a beginner in trying to sing, i can understand where you are coming from.
There are so many singing tips and tricks for beginners out there, that frankly i was just confused on which to follow and concentrate on.
But the truth is that everyone needs some form of hack or tips to help them become better.
It might be something you need to focus on for a while till you get better, or it might simply be a new technique.
In this article, we will be looking at 7 of the best singing tips and tricks for beginners.
These are sure to make you sing better and do so in a much shorter time than others.
Without wasting much time… let’s begin
1. Learn to breathe properly
Now this tip is number 1 for a reason.
It works and it is very important.
This is because the ability to sing very comes from learning how to breathe properly.
This also means bringing your diaphragm to play.
If you want to become a good singer, then you definitely need to learn how to breathe properly.
Here is a quote from a great vocal coach talking about the importance of breathing properly if you want to be a great singer.
There are a couple of things you can do to be able breathe properly.
First there are exercises that can make your life much easier
Here is a video showing you a simple exercise that you can do.
2. You need to warm up properly
Now when it comes to warming up, let’s use a little story to illustrate this point.
You have seen athletes right?
Before they start, they always stretch and do some warm ups.
This is simply to get their muscles ready for the strain it is about to take.
Same thing applies to singers and their vocal cords.
Your vocal cords are your singing muscles and you need to make sure that they are always ready whenever you call on them.
So for example. Let’s say that you need to give a vocal performance. You already have your microphones ready, here are some vocal warm up exercises you can do to make sure your vocal cords do not disappoint you.
I talked about some of them here and here, but here is one you should make sure you do always.
3. Get rid of that nervous jitters
Now i know this is easier said than done, but you need some confidence.
This is probably one of the best tip or advice you will receive
Simply because when you have some self confidence and you see everything as a learning process then you will be able to bring out the best in you.
One thing you should know is that singing and performing in front of a group of people is so much fun
Learn to manage your stage fright and you will definitely see your singing improve a lot.
Here are some tips to help you get started in overcoming stage fright while singing
- Remain calm and try to enjoy the process. Try to do some breathing exercises to help take away the nervousness.
- Be prepared. This includes doing your warm ups and making sure that you are very comfortable with what you are performing.
- Stand with confidence. Your posture says a lot about your confidence level. Stand firmly with your feet planted firmly on the ground and do not slouch your shoulder
- Make sure you know the basics. This includes having a proper singing technique. When you know the basics then your confidence level is going to be greatly increased.
4. Take care of your voice
Have you ever seen a woodworker or a mason after working in their shed for a day?
What’s the one thing they always do?
They make sure the clean their tools and keep it ready for the next day.
So that is does not disappoint them when the need it for the next day’s job.
Why should that be different from you and I as singers.
Out voice is our major tool and we need to make sure that we take care of it
As a beginner trying to get better at singing, this is one tips that you should really take seriously.
So no more alcohol and smoking.
No more dairy foods and things that can cause mucous in your throat.
Read about the full list of foods to avoid here.
Start taking more of things that will improve your vocal cords.
If you want to learn how to sing like Ariana Grande, then check out this article
5. Find a good vocal coach
You know the difference between a good singer and a great one?
It has to do with the fact that one of them has worked with a vocal coach and the other is still wasting his time watching YouTube videos.
A vocal coach will greatly benefit you.
This is because they will be able to help you avoid all mistakes and cut out all the things that are wasting your time.
A good vocal coach will also help you identify your vocal range and work with you on how to maximise it to the full potential.
The simple truth is that things such as breath support and vocal range are a bit technical and cannot be easily learnt by watching YouTube videos.
You need to work with a coach that is experienced and know what they are doing.
Like all things you need to make sure that you do your due diligence before you hire anyone.
Here are some tips you should look out for before hiring a vocal coach.
- Make sure they know their stuff. This is easy right. Look at their website and look at the people they have worked with before. It does not have to be big celebrities and musicians but at least someone there should be saying nice things about them.
- Make sure you are comfortable with the person. This goes without saying. You are going to be spending quite a lot of time with this person. So make sure you and the person can relate freely and be comfortable in each other’s presence.
- Be sure that you go with someone that at least has an idea of basic singing technique. You do not want someone that will damage your voice and leave you worse than you started.
6. Get some rest always
This might sound cliche but it is very important.
Unlike the woodworker or mason who can use his tools day in and day out without letting them rest, the same does not apply here.
Your vocal cords are part of your body and from time to time you need to let them rest.
By doing so you are sure that they will serve you better and avoid fatigue.
Think of it like this, if you continue to stress your vocal cords day in day out, a time might come when they will completely shut down.
And when that happens then you are in big trouble.
Thinking of learning how to sing like Chris Brown?
Roland VT12BK VT-12 Vocal Trainer
- Visually check your pitch in half-step increments with the illuminated pitch meter
- Detects two singers simultaneously for two-part harmony training in equal temperament and just intonation
- Onboard audio exercises with guide vocals and backing tracks. The pitch meter displays your pitch against the internal guide vocal for comparison.
- Fifty Lessons classical voice exercises with piano accompaniment and melody guide tracks; the VT-12 displays the pitch of the guide melody and your pitch simultaneously
- Review function for instant playback to hear your performance
7. Take it one day at a time
I know that you have dreams of being a great singer.
I myself i definitely do
So this might mean wanting to learn everything thing at the same time. From breathing to posture to vocal range.
By doing so you are setting up yourself for an epic failure.
What you should do is to take it one day at a time and make sure you enjoy the learning process.
So first you should make sure you learn the basics which is simply learning one technique and then sticking to it.
Practice and become a master at just that one thing before you think of moving unto the next one.
This will ensure that you truly master that one thing and make it a part of you before hopping unto the next one.
As a beginner trying to learn how to sing, you need to be aware that these things take time.
The best thing you can do for yourself is to have fun.
By following the tips mentioned in this article, you can be sure that your singing is going to improve and get better over time.
Are there any tips that i forgot to mention? Leave them in the comment box below