Your voice is the most important thing you need to take care off if you want to be a greater singer
Without your voice you wont be able to sing anything and that’s the end of your singing career.
There are a lot of ways you can train yourself to be able to sing better and have a good voice. From doing your warm ups to hiring a good coach.
All these things help you get a good voice and also to sing better.
But in this article we will be looking at drinks that are good for your voice. After reading this article, hopefully you will be able to separate the good from the bad and know what drinks that are good for you.
This is without a doubt the best thing you can do for your voice.
By drinking lots of water, you keep your vocal cords hydrated.
Water helps to keep the thin secretions flowing in your voice which helps to keep your vocal cords lubricated.
Aside from the obvious fact that water is very good for your voice, it also has so many advantages.
- Water aids in weight loss
- It helps in digestion
- It helps you fight fatigue
- It helps maintain the balance of your body fluids
- It helps keep your skin looking good and glowing
Now you see that drinking water and staying hydrated is very important for you as a human being.
Studies have shown that staying hydrated helps increase your concentration levels and keeps you focused. This is especially good for you as a singer because you need your concentration to be at peak levels.
But it get better…
It has also been proven that a mild dehydration can reduce your brain function by about 10 percent.
So now we know why we need to drink water and stay hydrated. Here are some tips to help you make sure you drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.
- Always keep a water bottle or glass jar close to you. This will make sure you do not forget to drink water.
- If you feel the taste of water is boring, then you can add some flavor to it. Personally i prefer squeezing lemon into mine and drinking it.
- You can also use a timer and set a schedule. Say every one hour you get a beep and you know it is time to drink some water.
Now before you get all worked and attack me in the comment section, allow me to explain
Remember when i said water is very good for you as a singer, there is something that is probably way better.
This is steam.
This is because by drinking water can only do so much effect on your voice. But when you inhale it, in the form of steam, then the effects are greatly improved.
The one i personally recommend to my students is the Vick Personal Steam Inhaler. While this is a somewhat new method, here are some of the benefits of using a steam inhaler.
- It helps restore moisture to your lungs and respiratory tract which is very helpful if you are suffering from cold, flu, bronchitis or laryngitis.
- It helps to relieve nasal, sinus and chest congestion.
- It makes your nasal and throat passages feel clearer.
The Vicks Personal Steam Inhaler is highly recommended for you if you want to have a good voice and make sure that your voice is well hydrated and lubricated.
How does it work
The operation of a steam inhaler is quite simple
- It has a mask which you place over your mouth and nose
- Add some water into the basin beneath the mask
- Plug the unit into your socket and power it on
- Allow some minutes for the heating element to heat up the water.
- As the water starts to heat, steam rises up through the mask and you breathe into your lungs
3. Green Tea and Herbal Teas
Another very good drink that has major benefits for your voice is green tea.
Green tea contains some ingredients that are soothing to your voice.
One thing you should know about green tea is that you should get the decaffeinated type. This is because getting the one which contains caffeine will result in your vocal cords drying up.
Also try as much possible to get the high grade ones like this and not some poor quality one which you find in any store.
Herbal teas are also very good for your voice. They contain ingredients such as hibiscus flowers and chamomile which are very good for lubricating your vocal cords and for treating dry throats.
A word of caution: When getting herbal teas make sure you get from a trusted source. There are lots on slimy people out there peddling packaged nonsense and calling it green tea or herbal tea.
You want to avoid this kind of people.
To make sure you do not fall into this trap, here are my recommended and trusted sources
4. Warm water with honey and lemon
Warm water mixed with honey and lemon is an easy way to naturally hydrate and sooth your voice.
This particular fluid has a lot of advantages especially when you consider the warm water aspect of it. Here are some advantages of drinking warm water as a singer.
- Honey has a soothing effect on your throat. This is because the thickness of the honey helps to lubricate and coat your throat. It also helps relieve swollen throat issues and scratchy voice.
- Honey contains anti bacterial which helps in fighting germs in your throat and also helps your vocal cords to heal.
- Warm water helps to keep your vocal cords tightened. This is especially important if you want to hit the high notes and increase your vocal range.
- Warm water helps to clear your throat and also reduces the mucus that accumulates from excessive coughing.
- Warm water helps to wash out toxins that can cause infection from your throat.
This incredible and yet simple combination can do wonders for your voice.
Make sure you try it out now and let me know what you think about it in the comment box below
5. Hydrating foods
While this is not really a “drink” as such it is also a very important way to hydrate your vocal cords.
Drinks are very important to a singer, but foods are also way important.
So before you eat anything you need to make sure that it is not causing damage to your voice.
If you find out that you have trouble in drinking any of your fluids, then you can make sure that the foods you eat have a high water content.
For example fruits and vegetables are good choices of foods with high water content.
Fruits such as cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper. water melon, cauliflower, spinach and strawberries are very good for hydrating your voice.
There are lots of ways to make sure you treat your voice well.
But the most important is to keep your vocal cords hydrated and lubricated.
The only way you can do this is to watch what you drink and pick drinks that are good for your voice. Hopefully by reading this blog post you have an idea on where to start and how to go about making the right choices.
Are there any drinks you take before singing? Or any ones that have worked well for you? I will love to hear about them in the comments below