Singing in vibrato is so much fun. I mean who does not want to learn how to sing one of the most exciting singing styles and technique there is today. If you can properly learn how to sing vibrato like a pro, then you can be sure to create a true masterclass and beautiful song anytime you open your mouth.
But the simple truth is that vibrato is a little difficult to learn and master.
There are some subtle details and techniques that you need to learn to be able to sing it properly.
However, do not be discouraged.
Like all things all it takes is some practice and some dedication and you will be fine.
In this article we will be looking at a step by step guide to learning how to sing vibrato naturally and tips for getting the best out of your voice when singing.
Related: Check out my article on 5 drinks that are good for your voice
What is vibrato and how is it created?
According to wikipedia, vibrato is a musical effect consisting of a regular, pulsating change of pitch.
To put it in simple terms, let’s use an example
Listen to the sound “ah”… when you do you will hear some variations in the sound.
It will go up and then come down – repeatedly
This is vibrato in singing.
There are three types of vibrato,
- Diaphragmatic vibrato which is simply created by your diaphragm pulsating during a sustained tone
- Vocal trill vibrato which is one that occurs by matching your pitch to the ones played on a keyboard or piano
- Larynx vibrato that occurs simply by moving your larynx up and down
How to sing vibrato naturally
When singing, the simplest way to create vibrator is by variations in your larynx.
To create vibrato when singing, there are somethings that you need to consider
- You need to open your mouth wide. This is to get into the habit of opening the back of your throat as this is the simplest way to sing vibrato. One way to do this is to mimic yawning. When your throat is closed, then it is going to be very difficult for air to flow and your sound will not be warm and rich.
- You need to relax completely. As you probably know, to be able to sing well, you need to be relaxed. Relaxing will also help you avoid straining and possibly damaging your voice. One thing you can do is to do circles with your neck to ease out the tension and get loose on the outside.
- You need to adopt the correct posture. To help with your breathing you need to stand correctly and adopt a good posture. If you do not stand properly, you are going to find out that your breathing will be difficult and you will strain your voice. So make sure your stand straight, with your back well against the wall and no slouching of your shoulders.
- You need to sing with your diaphragm. One of the basics about singing correctly is to sing with your diaphragm. This will make singing vibrato so much fun and easier. So make sure you take a deep breath and keep your shoulders straight.
- You need to keep your breath flow steady and even. Finally to truly master singing vibrato, your breath needs to be steady and even. If it is not steady, then your vibrato is going to wobble and sound really off over the place.
Tips to understanding true vibrato
While singing vibrato is fun and easy, there are somethings you need to be aware of.
- You need to practice and be patient. Know that true vibrato will happen naturally if you continue to sing continuously and do not force it. Singing correctly takes time and will occur naturally. You just need to be patient.
- Like I said earlier, vibrato is a variation in the pitch of a sound. It is not something that can be easily manipulated.
- Apart from vibrato sound good and pleasing to the ears, it also helps in developing your voice. It helps to relax the muscles of your voice and also to protect your vocal cords from over exertion.
Exercises to take your vibrato game to the next level
The following exercises are very helpful if you want to truly master how to sing vibrato naturally.
1. The Diaphragm Exercise
- Place your hands at the bottom of your chest at exactly where your ribs join together.
- Slightly move your hands down about a few meters above your belly button
- Next sing a note on any pitch that your are comfortable singing.
- As you sing gently push your hands into your stomach and then pull out.
- Do this repeatedly for about 3 to 5 cycles
- The aim of this exercise is to give you an idea of what vibrato sounds like and to help in training your stomach muscles.
2. The Larynx Exercise
- Place your finger on your larynx which is just by the side of your throat.
- Sing a sustained pitch and then wiggle your fingers on your larynx
- The sound you notice is not true vibrato but it helps to give you an idea of what it sounds like and also in training your vocal muscles.
3. The Switch Note Exercise
- This involves switching between two notes at quicker and faster rates until it sounds like a vibrato.
- So what you can do is to sing one note and then sing another one that is a semitone away and switch between them continuously for 6 to 8 cycles per second.
While most people may see vibrato as a singing style only popular in classical music, this is actually not so.
Singing in vibrato irrespective of genre or song actually adds warmth and improves the quality of your sounds.
Basically you need to be aware that it takes time and that it happens naturally.
No need to strain your voice or to force it.