To what end?
I suppose you want to be able to sing better and stand in front of a stage and blow them away with your amazing voice and singing skills.
With so many people having that “natural ability” to sing and singers popping up everywhere. it just not enough to be able to sing.
You need to have that awesome singing voice that gets people listening and falling in love with you as you sing.
What are the things that you need to do to have a better singing voice?
Does it come naturally or are there some tips and tricks that you need to learn and apply to get it?
In this article i have compiled 3 tactics that will help you get a better singing voice, sing better and blow away anyone that hears you singing.
Ready? Here they are
1. Take Care of your entire body.
Now before you run away and think that i am talking about something weird, hear me out.
Singing is a fun exercise to do and like most people that love singing, they use all parts of their body.
When you use all parts of your body, you have a better chance of singing properly and having an amazing singing voice.
Here is what I am talking about
You need to stay hydrated
Water is not only good for health and fitness purposes, it is also good for your vocal cords.
Infact if there is one change you need to make today to get a very good voice, it is the fact that you need to start taking a lot of water.
According to doctors, water helps energize your muscles and you know that your vocal cords are muscles.
So you need to energize them.
It is recommended that you drink 8 ounces or 2 litres of water daily.
There are a couple of ways you can start drinking water. Here are some of them
- Add some flavor to make it much more appealing. So things like grapefruit or cucumber or some herbs can make your daily water drinking exercise less of a torture.
- Drink a glass of water after going to the toilet
- Use an app such as the this one here or this one here to track the number of cups you drink daily. You can and should use them to set reminders to help you remember to take your daily fluids.
- Always keeps a gallon or jug of water nearby. It helps you remember easily.
- Start eating foods that have a lot of water content in them. This is a much easier way to get started. Examples of foods include water melon, cucumber, zucchini and grapefruit.
- Avoid dairy products that cause phlegm to form in your throat. So things like milk, yoghurt and cheese are simply a no brainer.
With this tips, it will be much easier for you to start getting your daily dose of water.
Prepare and stick to a balanced diet
You probably have heard about the advantages of good nutrition.
So why are you still eating junk food?
You need to take care of your body if you want to be a good singer and one of the ways to do this is to eat a nutritious meals.
Here are some foods that you should include in your diet to get the best from your voice
- Fresh foods and fruits should be your first choice. Avoid all forms of packaged or processed foods
- You should go for foods that have a high water content just like we talked about in the point above.
- Salads are the best
- Green juice is also a very good food to stick
- Avoid all forms of alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
Make sure your posture is on point
If you have a bad posture then you can forget about singing or having an awesome voice.
This is because your posture contributes a lot to the way air comes out from your voice. So if air does not come out properly (due to your bad posture) then you will have a problem singing beautifully
Here are some tips to help you get a good posture.
- Engage reguarly in exercises such as running and swimming.
- When standing make sure your feet and shoulder are wide apart.
- Always ensure you stand up straight. No slouching people.
- Make sure your weight is evenly distributed and always on the balls of your feet.
- Try to take breaks away from your computer if you sit at work
- When sitting make sure your back is straight and not bent
- Always keep your head up.
2. Train your voice
Imagine if there was a sorta of remote control or magic button that you flip and voila! you get an awesome voice.
That would really be cool right?
Unfortunately that kind of technology has not yet been developed and will take a lot of time before it does.
Before that happens we have to practice and train our voice just like everyone else.
Learn to breath properly
A good singer knows that breathing properly is the key to having an awesome voice.
And this involves learning to breath with your diaphragm.
You know where your diaphragm is right? Well if you do not then check out this article.
When you sing with your diaphragms you are able to control your voice and sing properly. This is because the air coming out from your mouth is not forced.
It comes out easily and without stress.
This is a good thing and is something you want to make sure you you do always.
Always warm up properly before singing
Who goes to a job interview without making sure they know all about the company?
That’s how it should be when trying to be a good singer?
You need to warm up properly.
There are a couple of things you can do to warm up properly before singing.
- Breath relaxation. What you want to do is to take a normal breath and then exhale. Keep your shoulders and chest relaxed as you do this. Repeat for as long as you can making sure that your breaths are focused low and from your stomach.
- Place your hands directly under your cheek bone. Massage your facial muscles allowing your jaws to open as your hands go down your face.
- Do the lip trill which helps to release tension in your voice. You place your lips closely together and then release air from your lips making a trill or a raspberry sound.
Pronounce your vowels and learn your vocal range
The way you pronounce your vowels will determine how clear your words come out.
If your words are coming out clearly then you are sure to have a nice voice and to sing properly.
This a major difference between a good singer and a great singer. A great singer makes sure they pronounce their vowels and sound with clarity.
Finally you want to learn how to sing within your vocal range and also to extend it.
Singing within your vocal range ensures that your voice does not crack and strain under pressure
There are many ways you can learn how to sing and extend your vocal range.
We will be looking at one of them in the points below
3. Train yourself
The last tactic that will help you have an awesome singing voice is simply this
Invest in yourself…
Train yourself. If you take the time to invest and train yourself you are definitely going to reap the words down the road.
You find out that you sing better with so much ease.
Singing comes normally and there is no pressure to hit the high notes. The first way you can do this is to
Learn from a vocal coach
A vocal coach is the best thing for your singing career. A vocal coach will make sure that you avoid all the mistakes of earning how to sing like a pro and getting an awesome voice.
Think of it like this.
A vocal coach has a lot of experience and definitely knows all the mistakes you need to avoid.
You can take your chances and learn it by your self or you can bypass all that hurdle and learn from a vocal coach.
Also a vocal coach will teach you how to sing within your vocal range and also how to extend it.
This is key because a god singer should be able to know his or her vocal range and how to extend it.
Try other genres
One thing you can do to train yourself is to practice other genres of music and see if your voice is much more “welcoming” singing them.
That does not mean that you should jump from one genre to another.
Basically you want to pick a max of 3 and see how your voice sounds singing them.
Who knows you just might get to like all 3 genres. This will give your voice that flexibility to be able to switch between different genres and make your voice sound much better.
If you want to have an awesome and better singing voice, you need to work on your body and to train your voice.
Hopefully as a result of reading this article, you know what you need to do to work on your body and to train your voice.
Experiment with what you have learned in this blog post and see how well you become a better singer and have a better voice.
What are some of the things you do to have a better sounding voice?