Imagine if you had a deep rich baritone voice?
It will be cool right?
As a singer that is one of the things most people desire to have.
They want a deeper voice because well it sounds cool…and truthfully it is actually cool.
But one thing most people do not know is that getting a deep voice is not as easy as it sounds.
There are a couple of things you can do to get a deep voice, but smoking is not one of them
It may work for a while in the short term but long term is usually causes more harm than good.
In this article, we will be looking at the effects of smoking on your voice, how to get a deep voice aside from smoking and how to make sure that you get that rich baritone voice.
What are the effects of smoking on your voice?
Smoking has a lot of effects on your singing voice.
And basically they are more bad than good.
If you are serious about your singing career, then smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your vocal cords.
Apart from the cosmetic effects and the numerous health risks, smoking can literally damage a singer’s career for ever.
- Smoking increases your chance of getting vocal nodes. Now vocal nodes are tiny lesions or scar that grows on your vocal cords. What happens is that over time and constant usage of your voice, these vocal nodes will appear. But when you start to smoke, you may notice that these nodes appear much sooner than expected. The result is that you will have difficulty in singing, your voice will start to crack and you may lose your voice in serious cases.
- Smoking causes irritation and dry tissues of your vocal cords. According to the New York University Medical School, the found out that smoking causes your vocal tissues to dry up and start to itch. If this continues to happen, then you may experience loss of your voice and difficulty in singing.
- Smoking also cause a lot of health problems which may shorten a singer’s career and life. For example, it causes vocal polyps which is a condition whereby some nasty growths come out on your vocal cords and they make singing very difficult and painful. Also bronchitis and laryngitis can also occur which reduce the amount of air flowing into your lungs thereby making singing very painful and difficult.
Here is an article I wrote showing you how to sing like a pro
How to develop a deep voice naturally
Now you know that smoking is actually very bad for your singing voice.
While it may make your voice to sound deep and husky in the short term, in the long term it will cause much more permanent and irreparable damage.
Here are some simple tips to help you develop a natural deep singing voice.
- First you need to know how your voice sounds. So take a recorder and record yourself singing. Then listen to it to know exactly how your voice sounds and what needs to be changed. This way you get to determine your pitch and tone. Is it shrill, airy, shallow or whiny?
- To be able to change the tone of your voice, you need to relax your throat. You can do this by moistening your vocal cords. One way to do this is by drinking warm water or tea before practicing. This helps to relax your vocal cords and reduce tension.
- Open your mouth and avoid pursing or shaping your lips or cheeks
- With your head bent forward, start humming your deepest and loudest tone. Do this continuously while taking water or tea to lubricate your cords.
- While doing avoid producing a guttural or raspy sound as doing this may damage your voice instead of making it deep.
- Also avoid making any nasal tones such as producing sounds through your nose. Instead try as much as possible to sing through your mouth.
- Finally cultivate your lower voice and get more volume in the low registers. You can do this by humming deeply with your lips parted and your chin pointed down.
Here is a video showing you how to do this properly
So does smoking make your voice deeper?
The simple answer is NO it does not.
There are cases of singers who have a deep or husky voice and they say it is because of their smoking habit.
But the truth is that smoking will destroy your career more than anything else.
In the short term it might give you the deep husky voice that you desire but in the end it may end up causing you more harm than good.
Go with learning it naturally.
It may take some time and some practice but in the end the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
Do you have any comments or tips? Leave them in the box below