Are you looking for the best room mics for live recording, then this is the article for you.
After careful research and review, I will recommend the AKG Pro Audio C414 XLS Microphone
This is because this microphone delivers crisp, clear audio every single time it is used.
It also has the unique ability to eliminate all background noise, it is durable and very lightweight.
This is one microphone, I will definitely recommend for you
But I understand that you might also be looking for other options which is why in this article I will be showing you
- My top 5 room microphones that are best suited for live recording
- Pros and cons of each microphones
- Tips to ensure that you get the best choice for yourself
- Frequently asked questions and the answers from past users
- And so much
Related: Check out my massive and detailed guide on the best microphones
Also you might want to have a look at this detailed table I have below showing you the 5 microphones I reviewed with their features and specifications
I also show you my #1 rated microphone of the five of them
Top 5 Best Room Mics for Live Recording
I know you might also be interested in seeing all the microphones in an ordered list.
So here they are arranged just for you
- AKG Pro Audio C414 XLS Microphone
- Neumann U87 Ai Studio Microphone
- Stellar X2 Condenser Microphone
- Royer Labs R – 121 Ribbon Microphone
- Sennheiser TLM 49 Pro Audio Large Diaphragm Microphone
How do I mic a room for live recording?
To properly record a room and then get all the sounds that you want, you need to ensure that you get the right mic placements.
The best advice I can give is that when recording live music, the room microphones are usually placed away from the band so that it can comfortably pick the needed sounds without any background issues.
Here is a YouTube video showing you how this is done properly
What makes a great room mic?
Before you buy any room microphones especially for live recording, there are certain things that you need to be aware of.
- Versatility – The main thing you want to ensure is that your microphone is versatile and is basically an all purpose microphone. This will allow you more flexibility in the various room miking situations that you will encounter.
- Flat frequency response – A good room microphones for live recording should also have a very flat frequency response. This is to ensure that you get the accurate audio sounds when recording and not some modified or edited sounds.
- Sensitivity – when it comes to placing room mics, they are usually placed some distance from the source. So you want something that is very sensitive and can pick up audio sources easily while also eliminating background noises.
Where should drum room mics be placed?
To effectively record drums, the microphones should be well placed so as to capture every single sound well.
- Place a microphone at each side of the kit about 10 feet apart from each other.
- Make sure that they are looking directly at the outside edge of the furthest cymbal
- The microphones should be between 6 to 10 feet in front of the kit
- It should also sit just on the edge of the kit on the same place and exactly parallel to each other
What type of mic is generally used for live concert performances?
The recommended microphone to use for live concert performances is the cardioid microphones.
Cardioid microphones surpass all other microphones and polar patterns by far in terms of popularity and are widely used for live performances, karaoke and other big arena events.
They are also well suited for miking loud instruments such as drum kits and guitar speakers.
My Review of the 5 Best Room Mics for Live Recording
1. AKG Pro Audio C414 XLS Microphone
The AKG C414 is without a doubt a very versatile condenser microphone that is ideal for live recording.
With 9 selectable polar patterns, 3 different high-pass filters, and 3 different pads, the C414 will work well in any room or acoustic space.
Whether we’re using a single C414 or using multiples in a stereo configuration, this microphone works wonders in room miking applications.
It is engineered for the highest linearity and has a very neutral sound which is ideal for recording vocals and also for live recording.
It has three attenuation levels making it ideal for close up recording or high output sources.
It comes equipped with 3 different switchable bass cut filters which helps to reduce wind noise, subsonic noise and proximity effect.
It has an audio peak hold LED with overload warning which helps you easily detect sound disruptions and audio peaks.
2. Neumann U87 Ai Studio Microphone
This is another widely regarded studio microphone that is ideal as a room mic for live recording.
Though best known for its vocal recording applications, this microphone is an amazing room microphone.
It is a high quality mic that captures your room sound accurately with sounds that are very clean and full of character.
It is also very versatile which makes it an ideal choice for use in home studios and also in professional studios.
It Includes EA87 Shockmount, windscreen, cable and a wooden jewelry box.
Equipped with a large dual-diaphragm capsule with 3 selectable directional patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8, it offers a 6dB improvement in signal-to-noise over other microphones.
3. Stellar X2 Condenser Microphone
The Stellar X2 microphone is an awesome microphone with natural and well balanced frequency response.
Unlike some other microphones out there, it does not sound harsh and will not cause any problems in your audio mix.
Its capsule is made from high grade brass and quality material ensuring that it is very durable and lasts for a very long time.
They are also manufactured with the utmost care and precision which makes it very sensitive and able to reproduce subtle sounds.
It has a low noise circuit with a noise tolerance as low as one percent. This ensures that all background noises and external disruptions are completely eliminated when recording.
This is one room microphone that is ideal for live recording and will deliver superior audio quality when used.
4. Royer Labs R – 121 Ribbon Microphone
This is a large element ribbon microphone that delivers awesome sound quality when used.
It has high SPL capabilities which ensures that you do not have any crackling or audio disruptions when recording.
It has No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
One unique thing about this microphone is that it has extremely low residual noise so your recordings always come out clean and without any issues.
It’s ribbon element is made from quality and high grade material ensuring that it is not affected by heat or humidity.
It has no frequency phase distortion.
5. Sennheiser TLM 49 Pro Audio Large Diaphragm Microphone
This is a large diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone with the unique K 47 capsule that gives it that clean, warm sound.
It has a transformerless design that is well built to last long and very portable
It has a maximum output voltage of -1dBu that gives you the options to record as much audio as you want without any fear of disruptions.
This is one microphone that has a retro look and gives off a warm sound and properly optimized for vocal recordings.
It has a smooth mid range with a clear bottom and a presence in the 5K range that is just right without being too “bright” and harsh.
Related: Here is an article I wrote showing you the best microphones for live events