This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products.
I get it
Actually I do… Guitar amps are not cheap.
To get a good and quality guitar amplifier, you should be prepared to drop some serious cash.
And that can be very frustrating because if you are a serious guitar player then you need a good amplifier that will help take your sounds to the next level.
In that case, I have some good news for you.
One thing you need to know is that although amps are expensive, for 300 bucks you can get some quality guitar and tube amplifiers that will last for a long time.
In this article, we will be looking at the top 5 best guitar amps under 300 bucks, what you need to consider before making a purchase and some tips and tricks to make sure you get the best from your amplifier.
What is a guitar amp?
According to Wikipedia, is an electronic amplifier that helps to strengthen weak signals coming from the pickup on an electric guitar, acoustic guitar or a bass guitar and then reproduces the sound through speakers housed in a wooden cabinet.
So simply put, a guitar amp is something like a middle man between your guitar and the speakers.
A guitar amplifier can either be a standalone component wich contains just the amplifiers and requires speakers or it may be a combo which would contain both the amplifiers and the speakers in a wooden cabinet.
What are the uses of a guitar amplifier?
They help to increase the sound of your guitar so you can comfortably play in front of an audience.
They help to modify the tone of your guitar giving it a pleasing sound.
With the combo amps, you have the option of having your amps and speakers in one component which helps to reduce the amount of gear you log around.
Factors to consider before you buy a guitar amp
1. Make sure it has the right power
This is probably one of the most important factors.
If you are starting out and mostly playing in front of family and friends then an amp with low power is fine.
But if you have plans of expanding and playing in a band, then you want to make sure you get something that has a lot of power.
Basically you want to get something within the range of 40 to 100 watts.
2. What is your budget
Since we are looking for the best guitar or tube amps under 300 bucks, we want to make sure that we stick to our budget.
So basically we are looking for any amp that is 300 bucks or less and still of high quality and has good power.
3. What is your music style or preference
By considering this factor, you want to make sure you get something that matches your style of play.
So for example, say you are a hardcore rock fan, then you want to get an amp that is heavy on distortion.
But if you are more into slow blues and jazz, then you definitely want something that produces clean sounds even at very high volumes.
It is more about choosing a style which you prefer and are comfortable with. There is no hard and fast rule here.
4. How many channels does it have?
A good amplifier will have at least two channels.
This is simply because you want to be able to control the amount of effects such as distortion and delay that you can easily add to your sounds when playing.
While a one channel guitar amp is not necessarily bad, you want at least 2 channels so you can have more options and flexibility.
Our Top 5 Best Guitar Amps Under 300 Bucks
1. Fender Mustang V Head Electric Guitar Amplifier
This is a 150 watts electric guitar amp that is built to last and sounds great.
It has 2 75 inches stereo which makes it ideal for playing in large spaces without losing the sound quality.
It has one channel which allows you to easily adjust your effects while playing.
It has USB connectivity and the unique Fender FUSE software which greatly improves the way you play and let’s your imaginations come out.
It has 5 new amp models (making a total of 17), 5 new effects, intelligent pitch shifting and XLR stereo outputs which gives you so much options and versatility when using it.
It has 100 onboard factory and user presets, a headphone output and auxiliary input which all help to make using this amp very stress free.
1. It has a great sound
2. It has USB connectivity which makes it ideal for connecting other media devices.
3. It has 150 watts of power which makes it great for outdoor use
1. It has only one channel which may restrict you when adding effects or presets
2. Roland CUBE Street Stereo Amplifier
This is a highly rated guitar amplifier that delivers awesome sound and quality when used.
It is a compact and lightweight stereo amplifier which makes it very portable and easy to move around.
It is designed in a unique way with a slanted design which helps to ensure that the speakers are well balanced and the output is superb.
It’s 6.5 inches neodymium battery driven speakers helps to ensure that it can be used with both electric power and alone.
It has 6 digital effects, a built in 2 band EQ and a delay/reverb for the mic and line channel. All this helps to ensure that the quality of the sound you get is great.
This is one guitar amp that is perfect for the solo guitarist that does not need to carry heavy equipments around.
1. It is battery powered giving you longer playing time
2. It is lightweight and very compact
3. It comes with a lot of useful effects and presets
1. It does not have phantom power as such cannot be used with some guitars
3. Yamaha THR10 Mini Guitar Amplifier
This is one the best guitar amps in the market today for this price.
It has 5 classic amp models and various models for bass, acoustic and other instruments. This gives you a lot of options when using it.
It has a lot of effects developed by it’s unique VCM technology which makes it ideal for use when playing different sounds.
It is lightweight and very portable and can run on batteries making it very easy to transport and move about.
If you are a guitarists who is not too concerned about live stage, then this is the perfect choice for you.
1, It is lightweight and very portable
2. It has an amazing sound
3. It has a lot of good presets and effects which you can use
1. It does not work so well with external pedals
4. Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister Guitar Amplifier
This is a medium sized 60 watts guitar amp that packs a lot of punch in the sound quality.
It comes with a single 12 inches celestion vintage speaker that produces awesome sound.
It has amazing features and control knobs that helps you easily come up with any sound you want or simply play around till you get a desired sound.
It is lightweight and can be easily moved around
It has a built in parallel jack which makes it ideal for connecting two cabinets together.
This is a very nice guitar amp for a fair price
1. It has a great awesome sound
2. It is very lightweight
3. It has a parallel jack which helps improve your connectivity
4. It is great for classic rock tunes and metal sounds
1. It’s 60 watts power may not be suitable for large outdoor use
5. Blackstar HT1 Series Guitar Combo Amplifier
This is a combo amp that offers unbelievable tube sound in a compact format.
It is a 100 watts amp giving it the right power for use in any space or gathering.
It has a unique button that easily helps you switch from normal to overdrive.
It has a speaker and headphone output which makes it very easy to hook up your external speakers.
It has control knobs that make for gain, volume and overdrive which makes it very easy to control the volume output of your sound
It has an MP3/Line input for connecting your media devices to your amp while playing.
1. It is excellent as a practice amp
2. It has great sounds
3. It has easy to use control knobs
1. It might get a bit noisy when played at a loud volume
Realistic expectations - What can you get from a 300 dollar amp
While we have seen the top 5 guitar amps under 300 bucks, there are some realistic expectations you should be aware of.
You do not hope to get the same quality or effects that you will get if you purchased a 600 bucks amp.
Here are some tips to make sure you get the best from your purchase.
- Make sure you get something that is versatile. This means that you want to get something that can be used for a lot of occasions. No need getting something now and then a few years later you have to upgrade.
- You want to make sure you get something with a lot of power. This has to do with the point mentioned above. You can start with just yourself but you may decide to expand and run a band later. So make sure you are adequately prepared.
- Finally you should know that a guitar amp will not make you become better overnight. You will need to practice and practice some more.
If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the box below