Do you want to record music on your Chromebook and don’t know how? Well, you’ll need an audio interface for that. An Audio interface helps you enhance the sonic capabilities of your laptop or computer, and to connect different audio equipment to you Chromebook. But sorting through the best audio interfaces for Chromebook can be hard.
There are many audio interfaces available today in the market, but which one should you buy? If you are looking for the answer to this question, you are in the right place.
After Careful Research – The Best Audio Interface for Chromebook
- Two of the best performing mic preamps the Scarlett range has ever seen, now with switchable Air mode to give your vocal recordings a brighter and more open sound. Two high-headroom instrument inputs to plug in your guitar or bass. Two balanced line inputs for connecting synthesizers, drum machines and other line-level sources. Four balanced outputs for clean monitoring and sending audio out to effects pedals
- High-performance converters enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/ 192kHz.
- Easy start tool to get up and running easier than ever
- Includes free software from Antares, Relab, Softube, XLN Audio, Brainworx, Splice, Focusrite, Ableton, and Avid, all available via download upon purchase and registration
- LIMITED TIME OFFER: Get Fuse Audio Labs’ FX plug-in Bucket-500 and VPRE-2C for FREE upon registration and download
The Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 features two of the best performing mic preamps the Scarlett range has ever seen, now with switchable Air mode to give your vocal recordings a brighter and more open sound.
- High-performance converters enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/ 192kHz.
- Quick start tool to get up and running easier than ever.
- Includes Pro Tools | First Focusrite Creative Pack, Ableton Live Lite, Softube Time and Tone Bundle.
Other Solid Options
Behringer Audio Interface UM2
The Behringer Audio Interface comes with a variety of channel options, including 1, 2, 4, and 8 channels. The Behringer audio interface works very fast and provides you the option to connect all audio devices such as microphones, guitars, keyboards with it. You can also connect MDI devices with this audio interface. It is one of the 5 best audio interfaces for Chromebooks because it is compatible with all devices, and provides you with 192 kHz resolution which is higher than most. Using this audio interface is extremely easy as you find the connecting USB ports right at the front.
- High resolution power.
- Zero-latency ability.
- Dual monitor output.
- Mono switches.
- Hard to find working drivers.
- All channels have a single phantom power switch.
- 2x2 USB audio interface for recording microphones and instruments
- Audiophile 48 kHz resolution for professional audio quality. Maximum sampling rate: 48 kHz
- Compatible with popular recording software, including Avid pro tools, Ableton live, Steinberg Cubase, etc.
- Streams 2 inputs / 2 outputs with ultra-low latency to your computer, supporting Mac OS X and Windows XP or higher
- State-of-the-art, +48 V-powered Xenyx Mic Preamp comparable to stand-alone boutique preamps
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools
- Pro performance with the finest pre-amps - Achieve a brighter and a more open recording thanks to the best performing mic pre-amps the Scarlett range has ever seen. A switchable Air mode will add extra clarity to your acoustic instruments when recording with your Scarlett 2i2.
- Get the perfect guitar and vocal take - There’s no need to sacrifice your tone with two high-headroom instrument inputs to plug in your guitar or bass so that they shine through. Capture your voice with clarity and your instruments in all their glory without any unwanted clipping or distortion thanks to our Gain Halos.
- Low-noise for crystal clear listening - Two low-noise balanced outputs provide clean audio playback. Hear all the details and nuances of your own track or music from Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon Music. Plug-in your own headphones via the output for private listening in high-fidelity.
- Studio quality recording for your music and podcasts - You can achieve professional sounding recordings with Scarlett’s high-performance converters which enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/192kHz. Your recordings will retain all of their sonic qualities so that you can sound like the artists you admire.
- Easy Start - It’s easier than ever to get up and running with your Scarlett with our online tool, Easy Start. Whether you’re looking to record or playback audio, we will help you get started.
- All the tools you need to start recording right, now - We’ve partnered with our favourite industry partners to provide you with plenty of sound content and software so that you can create and record music right away.
Another USB audio interface which is best for your Chromebook is Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Audio Interface. Two natural-sounding Scarlett mic preamps with plenty of even gain and two instrument inputs. Two 1/4-inch balanced jack outputs to connect professional studio monitors and one headphone output with gain control. The Focusrite offers class-leading conversion and sample rates up to 192kHz / 24 bit and super-low roundtrip latency for using your plug-ins in real time without the need for DSP. You can take this audio interface anywhere easily due to its size and flexibility. The beautiful red color enhances its look which will definitely complement your other audio devices.
- Acceptable latency.
- Good quality recording.
- Has Midi connection.
- Hard to connect at first due to driver issues.
- Fragile, so handle with care.
Tascam US-2×2 USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Microphone Preamps
The Tascam USB Audio Interface combines great audio quality and ergonomic design for a powerful 2-in/2-out USB 2 Audio interface. Two of TASCAM’s Ultra-HDDA mic/line preamps provide up to 57dB of gain with nearly inaudible noise and distortion specs. The audio design features high-performance, musical components like NE5532 op amps for rich sound quality without coloring the source. It Includes class-compliant drivers for plug-and-play operation on Mac OSX and iOS devices, and a simple driver adds ASIO compatibility for Windows MIDI in and out are also included for connecting synths, drum machines, and controllers. Includes two DAW applications to choose from– both Cakewalk SONAR X3 LE and Abelton Live Lite 9 Features XLR and TRS inputs that accept balanced mic and line level signals, with a high-impedance option for recording electric guitar and bass. You can choose from 5 models, namely 1×2, 2×2, 4×4, 16×8, and 20×20. For daily use, the 2×2 model is best but if you need to connect a lot of audio devices then you can also get 16×8 or 20×20 ones. It has low latency while digital mixing which is perfect for professional use.
1- Good build quality.
2- Wide range of input channels.
1- Hard to connect at first as its manual has no relevant information.
2- Not durable.
3- Bad drivers.
- Combines great audio quality and ergonomic design for a powerful 2-in/2-out USB 2 Audio interface
- Two of TASCAM’s Ultra-HDDA mic/line preamps provide up to 57dB of gain with nearly inaudible noise and distortion specs
- The audio design features high-performance, musical components like NE5532 op amps for rich sound quality without coloring the source
- Includes class-compliant drivers for plug-and-play operation on Mac OSX and iOS devices, and a simple driver adds ASIO compatibility for Windows
- MIDI in and out are also included for connecting synths, drum machines, and controllers
- Includes two DAW applications to choose from–-both Cakewalk SONAR X3 LE and Abelton Live Lite 9
- Features XLR and TRS inputs that accept balanced mic and line level signals, with a high-impedance option for recording electric guitar and bass
PreSonus Audio Box USB 96mps
- Value-packed 2-channel USB 2.0 interface for personal and portable recording.
- 2 high-quality Class-A mic preamps make it easy to get a great sound.
- 2 high-headroom instrument inputs to record guitar, bass, and your favorite line-level devices, plus MIDI I/O.
- Studio-grade converters allow for up to 24-bit/96 kHz recording and playback.
- Comes with over $1000 worth of recording software including Studio One Artist, Ableton Live Lite, and Studio Magic Plug-in suite.
- Mixer control lets you create a custom blend between inputs and playback so you can monitor with zero latency.
- USB bus-power via USB 2.0 makes it mobile friendly - no need for an additional power supply.
- Equipped with a high-powered headphone output and balanced ¼” TRS outputs.
- Onboard +48V phantom power (global) accommodates studio condenser microphones.
PreSonus has great audio interfaces, but USB 96 is one of the 5 best audio interfaces for Chromebooks. Bus-powered USB 2.0/iPad audio and MIDI interface, and two combo mic/instrument/line inputs with low-noise, high-headroom, Class A mic preamplifiers and +48 V phantom power. Two 1/4 TRS Main and One 1/4 Headphone outputs and you can start recordings with Capture Duo. Finish songs with wireless transfer to included, easy-to-use Studio One music production software which includes 27 Native Effects, 4 virtual Instruments, and over 6 GB of beats and sample content. The PreSonus utilizes Studio quality 24-bit resolution using 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz sampling rates. PreSonus Audio Interface is simple to use and its small size makes it easy to take it anywhere.
- 1- Easy to use.
- 2- Worth the price.
- 3- Comes with all the required devices.
- 4- Travel friendly.
- 1- Registering for the software is quite difficult.
- 2- Doesn’t connect with all laptops but works with Chromebook.
M-Audio Air Audio Interface
Last but not the least, this audio interface has 2 input channels and 2 output channels, and You can buy the model with or without the MIDI channel. Capture every detail – premium component selection and 24-bit/192kHz resolution for professional recording and Low latency. Hi-Speed USB/ USB-C circuitry gives you the fastest connection, with a class-leading round trip latency of only 59Ms. Pristine studio grade capture -transparent crystal preamps and ultra-pristine ad converters for unsurpassed audio recording quality. The metal it is made from provides a great build quality.
- No latency.
- Easy to use.
- Software included.
- Hard to work with Windows 10.
How to Choose the Right Audio Interface?
Choosing the right audio interface can be hard. You can choose the right one if you know what you are looking for. Some features are essential for mixing and recording while some are not.
Let’s find out about those features!
1. Low Latency
Low latency is essential if you want to record especially professionally. Not all audio interfaces come with this feature but all of the above have this feature.
2. Input and Output Channels
It is necessary to know how many input channels you need. Usually, audio interfaces come with 1, 2, 4, and 8 channels. The usual output analogue is 4 channels.
The audio interface you buy should be easy to use especially if you are not a tech-savvy. Easy to use audio interfaces usually have all the things available right at the front.
Can you use an audio interface with a Chromebook?
A chromebook can be used with an audio interface if it is an external audio interface and also if you have a mixer. This way you can use the chromebook as the main DAW where you have your audio producing software and other software. What this means is that the audio interface that comes with your Chromebook might not be ideal enough for the kind of recording you want to do. So you will need an external audio interface to connect to your Chromebook and then connect as many other equipment and gear that you need.
Are you using your Chromebook for Karaoke? I wrote a good article about Audio Interfaces for Karoke here.
I saw this YouTube video online that shows you how to get started connecting your audio interface to your computer.
What DAW is compatible with Chromebook?
Most DAWs especially the latest ones require that you have a computer with enough processing power, speed and space to effectively run the programs without any issues. And looking at the specs of the latest Chromebook, I found out that it can actually run the programs easily.
Here are some DAWs that are compatible with your chromebook
- Magix Music Maker
- Chrome Music’s Lab Song Maker
- FL Studio
These digital workstations are all very compatible with your Chromebook and you should have no issues making music with them.
Can you record music on Chromebook?
Yes you can record music on your Chromebook computer. It has a Mic in port and a HDMI port that you can easily plug in your microphone or your external audio device into. It also has enough processing power and speed to run any recording software that you need to record your music. Also after recording your songs, you can also them on your Chromebook.
One thing you need to know is that Chromebooks have a lot of processing power and speed that can easily run the latest DAWs and recording softwares without any issues. So you have no problems recording and editing your music with your Chromebooks.
What recording software can I use on my Chromebook?
The following software are compatible
- Pro Tools
Does an audio interface improve sound quality?
An audio interface can greatly improve your audio quality especially if you are recording at home. Here are some benefits of getting an external audio interface.
They come with drivers that allow for lower latency. What this means is that external audio interfaces allow your computer to compensate for the overall amount of latency so that whatever your record stays in sync with your instrumental. External audio interfaces helps to reduce background noise and distortion. They provide you with higher sample rate and bit depths. They come with multiple inputs and outputs so you can easily record as many equipment and vocals as you need.
Now that you know which audio interface to buy for your Chromebook. The best audio interface for your Chromebook is the one which is easy to use, comes with a software, and provides you with clear sound quality. Build quality is also essential especially if you want to travel with it.
Otherwise, there are chances of damaging the audio interface.
Moreover, choose the right audio interface for yourself by knowing the qualities and features you need in an audio interface.
Once you know that, buying an audio interface becomes easy.